Sunday, February 9, 2014

Eulogy for Zeake ... Part of the Family


Writers of mysteries and thrillers employ Death in their work all the time. I am no different. Death always finds its way into my stories in one form or another, but when I write it, I never consider how much pain is involved with Death. That changed today. As a writer, I compose scenarios of Death; I set the stage, position the players, and direct the action.

Zeake - 2010
Ten-Years-old
But that … is fiction.

Yesterday was Saturday. I watched over my son’s dog Zeake for the final day of his life. Zeake was a fourteen-year-old Yellow Lab; Dysplasia had taken his hips, he could barely walk, and his body was shutting down. He would not eat and he threw up any water he drank. I watch him constantly, trying to keep him comfortable, carrying him outside, and cleaning up when he had an accident in the house. We scheduled with the vet for today, Sunday morning, to send Zeake Home where he’ll be able to run and play with his golf balls again. It was the single hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. Zeake is family, always has been and always will be, and I miss him terribly, as evidenced by the blathering mess I have become at this writing.

As a writer, most of my work mirrors reality. I draw from things that actually happen and mold them to suit my purpose. Without reality, there can be no fiction. But unlike fiction, reality is irreversible, and in matters of death, there is no reincarnate as there can be in fiction. So for today, at least, reality and fiction have nothing in common for me. If a fictional character I have invested in dies, I may feel a twinge of momentary concern at their demise, but as I turn the page, the feeling wanes. I take no stock in it, nor do I place anything higher than entertainment value on that which is unreal, even if of my own creation.


Today, there is no page to turn.

Some writers of romance are deft enough to evoke lasting feelings of anguish in their readers at the death of a character. I cannot. I am not that good. But I do know that for today, and for the near future until Time does its work, I will feel the sting of reality, and the unbearable heartache of losing someone I love dearly.... And I use the word ‘someone,’ intentionally.   

I feel for my son, Corey, most. He raised Zeake from a puppy, and taught him a multitude of things.

He taught him to retrieve beer from the fridge, but occasionally, Zeake would put a canine tooth through the can, and happily bring a spraying mess into the living room.

He fetched the golf balls Corey used when practicing his chip shots in the yard. Zeake never chewed them. He had one of his own for that. I remember being there when a neighbor asked if he could rent Zeake for that exact purpose.

Zeake would “speak” upon hand commands, fetch the paper, and one day when I was at Corey’s house, Corey sent him to meet the mail carrier truck. The mail-woman was new and a little afraid of Zeake at first. From the porch, Corey called to her. “Give him the mail!” She reached down and Zeake took it in his Lab’s soft mouth, and trotted it back to Corey. 

“Amazing,” the woman said. 
 I thought so too.

Once Corey said to me, “Watch this.” He told Zeake to fetch his shoes. Happy with tail wagging, Zeake returned with Corey’s shoes. They were different colors, but there was one left shoe, and one right.

Being a Lab, Zeake was a water dog. If he saw water, he made a beeline to it. It was all Corey could do to keep him on shore. I used to take my own lab Murphy to the beach with Corey and Zeake on rare occasion. Zeake would fetch the balls we threw out into the water, until he saw kids. Then he’d swim out to play with them, and forget all about us.  

The things he could do are too numerous to mention, but I think the thing that touched me most about that amazing dog, was his love for a small toy he had from when he was a pup; a stuffed red heart that he cherished. Another dog may have torn it to pieces, but Zeake loved it, and took care of it. We looked for that heart before leaving for the vet this morning, but could not find it. It broke my heart.

Zeake was more than a dog. For Corey, and all of us, he was a friend who greeted you at the door with a wagging tail and kisses, a part of the family, same as a brother or sister or mother or father. I know Corey will not be the same after sending Zeake Home, and I tried my best through my own tears and sobs to assure him that this was best for Zeake. I know he believed me, but that didn’t make it any easier.

I related something to him that I recalled reading that rings with undeniable truth. I knew this day would come, so it had a profound effect on me.

It’s titled:


I have taken the liberty of reprinting the last of them here.

 9. Take care of me when I get old. For you will grow old, too.
10. When I am old, or when I no longer enjoy good health, please do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having fun. Just see to it that my trusting life is taken gently. And be with me on that difficult journey when it’s time to say goodbye. Everything is easier for me when you are there. I will leave this earth knowing with my last breath that my fate was always safest in your hands.

And that’s how it happened. As difficult as it was for my son to let him go, he lay with Zeake, petting him and talking to him as the first needle sedated him, and the second….

On my way home, I found myself asking the question; “Why is Death so damn hard?”

The answer is...
… because we love.

R.I.P.
Zeakie Boy
2000 - 2014
















It's so hard to let go....







10 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute. My heart is with you and Corey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no words to express the pain of losing a beloved pet, a member of the family. I am so very sorry for your loss but you have amazing memories and that will help. I had to have my dog Ginger put to sleep a few years ago (at age 6) due to health problems that could not be corrected. It's been seven years but I still weep for her occasionally. But most of all I just remember her happy face, how she loved to jump high in the air and catch balls that were thrown for her and how she made you feel when she snuggled up next to you. Ginger was a rescue dog and our lives were the better for giving her a home. The pain will never heal for your loss of Zeake but I get through by thinking about how absolutely selfless my dog was and knowing that she is no longer in pain soothes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.L. - Thank you so much for your words, and for sharing about Ginger. I had a Ginger once too. To be honest, I didn't expect this to hit me as hard as it has. Sometimes I just break down in my office. Can't breath sometimes. Zeake wasn't my dog, but he was my family.

      Delete
  3. Good job Dad. I'm glad I was there with them (and you) too. Love you Corey, and miss you terribly Zeakie Boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Dan.... Thans for being there. Your brrother needed it. xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. So sorry for your loss and I know the pain you feel. I had to put my beloved Jax down after he became to ill and I still worry that he is not 'warm' enough or that he hasn't made friends. I know that sounds stupid, but I couldn't bring myself to have another dog until recently with Mocha and now I feel better. Zeakie Boy knew you loved him and he will always live in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Gosh. I was totally touched by this article/post. It is so, so hard to even contemplate killing off a character in a book. I just did this, and believe me, it was really unsettling but it did apply to the plot. Our family has had dogs put down before and we've even had to shoot one that went rabid. It's always a tough call. You can bring your friend back to life is some future tale--paying respect and reliving memories. Bring back Zeakie boy in another tale--let him live again and touch hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chris. I wrote him into a scene in the novel I'm working on now. I wanted to reflect the pain I felt at the loss of a dog I loved so much. It will take a great deal of time to heal.

    ReplyDelete