Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Gittin’ Published Ain’t Easy


So you wrote a book. 85,000 words give or take. You sent query letters to many, many agents. Some used form letters to reply, and some didn’t reply at all. Those are especially annoying since they tell you, “If we do not respond, we’re not interested. Please wait four to six weeks for our non-response.” And you do. But when four to six weeks roll around, you forget who it was that you were waiting not to hear from. Others are civil enough to scribble a note saying, “Your work does not fit out needs at this time, but keep trying. We’re fairly certain someone will like it.”
      Well, the “keep trying” part becomes tiring.
As an unproven writer, you don’t know if the problem is your work, if the agent is speaking the truth, or if it’s a little of both. You don’t trust your family or friends to proof your work and give you an honest critique, because if it’s bad, they will always lie to you in a misguided attempt to spare your feelings. And that’s the rub, isn’t it? The Catch-22! If they don’t tell you that your writing needs work, how can you hope to improve?
They will tell you what they think you want to hear because they don’t want to discourage you. If they discourage you, you might quit. If you quit, you may never amount to anything, and if you never amount of anything, it’ll be their fault.
So they lie.
They tell you they’ve never read such a great book in all of their lives. You see dollar signs, big houses on the lake, and throngs of adoring fans. You look in the mirror and see J.K. Rowling if you’re a woman, or Stephen King if you’re a guy (ok, maybe not King).
You get all revved up and submit a query, a bio, a synopsis, and a couple of chapters. Then, you wait. Eventually you come to the realization that rejection takes a very long time. Meanwhile, you find that insisting on an honest critique helps a little with friends and family, and they try, but they dip it in sugar so it’s easier for you to swallow, and the process starts all over again.
All of this is part of becoming a writer. It’s painful and it’s hard. But as Tom Hanks said in A League of Their Own
“If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.”
       Keep writing.
DB

Website - www.dbcorey.com
Twitter - DB Corey
DB Corey on Facebook - tinyurl.com/mltv6rs 
DB Corey Author FB site bit.ly/DBCorey-Author
DB Corey on LinkIn - tinyurl.com/oftk7do
Meet Myster Write on Facebook – www.facebook.com/MeetMysterWrite


8 comments:

  1. Great post DB! What we all wouldn't give to hear a little honesty about our writing. But it makes me think...is this also true when our spouses ask us; Does this make me look fat? Should we say, YEP, that color isn't flattering and then end up sleeping on the couch or do we say; That is a nice color. There is a difference now isn't there. Me, I'd rather hear the truth because I don't want to be like everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I find waiting to be difficult and maddening too. But as long as I'm working on some aspect of my career, a new book, my blog, my websites, meeting other writers on facebook or twitter I find it eases the anxiety a bit. Glad you have a blog and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I appreciate that someone finally commented. I had to pay my family, but they just spent the money on beer and forgot how to use a computer.

    As far as the questions the better half asks, I find becoming suddenly hard of hearing works for me. Then I roll on my back and play dead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The road is painful but the rewards are great.. heard that somewhere I think but boy it sure describes publishing right? Good for you for sticking it out!
    GirlZombieAuthors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent insights, my friend, and I think a lot of people will want to follow your journey as well as your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whodathunkit!! I realized years ago that an author's life is one of the most difficult there is. All those words and all you want is for people to read it! There is going to be a lot of people reading it come August 2013 Mr. Corey. Yeah I said it...you're a damn author now! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok you guys ... I'm blushing now.

    Thank you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Useful information and so true. From my experience I would recommend having a good editor and listening to his/her advice. This will help in getting a true picture of your work. Stepping away from my first novel long enough to allow an editor to provide a professional critique of my work significantly improved the final product. I also try to write several times a week and Blog to continue to hone my skills.

    ReplyDelete