Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy—A Review




I have been remiss of late, tending to my blog, but this week I thought I’d depart from my normal theme of writing about writing and all that comes with it, and turn my attention to a movie I saw over the weekend with my grown son, Corey.







I am an insufferable geek when it comes to Sci-Fi and comics. Growing up, I saw all the movies and TV shows and read all the comic books; except for Guardians of the Galaxy. I’d never actually heard of the series, and I expect that’s because Marvel first published it long after I outgrew my comic book phase.

There! I said it! Out! Grew!




So when I saw the Guardians trailer, my curiosity piqued. The day comic books came to the movies, all my childhood heroes came to life. They became real, and learning of Guardians  was like being nine-years-old again, and discovering Spiderman #1 sitting in the spinning display rack at the drugstore.
I could imagine nothing cooler.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a tongue-in-cheek technical wonder for the mind that follows a tried & true Sci-Fi formula, where a sprinkling of unlikely misfits band together to save the galaxy from the evil Overlord. Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) is the Earthling with a passion for 80s music, who is abducted as a child just after his mother dies. We fast-forward to adulthood and catch up to Quill as an intergalactic version of Indiana Jones. But everything changes when he acquires—The Orb. He has it, the Overlord wants it, and the pursuit begins. Possession of the powerful sphere leads him to the rest of the gang, the coolest of which are Rocket the laser-toting, wisecracking raccoon (voiced by Bradley Cooper) with what I consider to be the coolest line in the whole movie: "Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me." And then there's Groot, a tree trunk/plant thing that can say just three words … “I am Groot,” (voiced by Vin Diesel). These two are worth the price of admission, I tell ya! Add to this lovable pair a green Zoe Saldana as Gamora the living weapon, and Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista) as a walking assemblage of muscle that takes the literal interpretation of earthly expressions.

Ten minutes into the movie, I leaned over and said to Corey, “I have to see this one again.”

If you’re a fan of Sci-Fi, you undoubtedly leave your disbelief at home when you take in movies such as this, although you will need to suspend whatever disbelief you do bring with you at one short point in the show, but trust me, it will be easy to do. 

There are the requisite space battles and fisticuffs and high-speed chases, and several twists turns and setbacks along the way, and the 80s soundtrack will have you humming to songs you haven't heard in a while, if not singing out loud. The end of the movie drops a hint of things to come as any good series will, and as with all the Marvel movies, this one uses its signature preview (or post-view), so do stay for the bonus scene after the closing credits.   

I give it 6 out of 5 stars. 
Yep!

Live Long and Prosper.

Best Regards,
DB

Website - www.dbcorey.com
Twitter - DB Corey
DB Corey on Facebook - tinyurl.com/mltv6rs 
DB Corey Author FB site bit.ly/DBCorey-Author
DB Corey on LinkIn - tinyurl.com/oftk7do
Meet Myster Write on Facebook – www.facebook.com/MeetMysterWrite



No comments:

Post a Comment