Tuesday, June 9, 2015

A New Approach


I got a crazy idea last month.

Sales of Chain of Evidence were … disappointing. When I wrote the book, I had hoped for a multi-book deal that I could retire with so I could write my way into the sunset. Ah dreams. They’re nice to have. Nicer when they come true. But I was lucky to get a single book deal, and my last royalty check came to something just shy of $18. That won’t even pay for the vodka. In fact, I spent more going to signings and book fairs last year than I brought in. So doing the math, I should quit writing if I ever want to retire.  

Dreams dashed.

And why shouldn’t they be? I have no publicist. I have no marketing effort to speak of, save social media, and I can’t keep shouting HERE I AM! READ MY BOOK! BUY MY BOOK! and hope to be heard above the throngs of others shouting the same thing. Besides, it’s tacky. At least I think it is.

I thought to myself, there has to be a better way.
And there is.
Hire a publicity firm and spend about three grand.
I’m considering it.
Say goodbye to retirement, at least for another year or two.

Then I had that crazy idea I mentioned earlier. I’m not even sure where it came from, but I thought I’d give it a try. I sure as hell had nothing to lose.

I thought that I’d try something new in the way of Twitter, Facebook, and Blogger. I created a Twitter identity for my protagonist, Moby Truax. I figure if great white sharks have Twitter accounts, why not Moby? I coupled that with a blog that I created for him in the way of personal journal entries—brief lead-ins to his scenes in the novel.

NO SHOUTING!

Just subtle hints and teasers as to what lies within the pages. Then I added links to the other journal entries like the one following.


Much to my surprise, in just 30 days, I’m getting hits from seven different countries spanning Europe, Asia, Northern Africa, the Pacific Rim, and America, and more are coming every day. I don’t know what this will do for my retirement, but I find it very exciting.  

So … let’s see what that next royalty check looks like.

Best Regards,
DB



Website - www.dbcorey.com
Twitter - DB Corey
DB Corey on Facebook - tinyurl.com/mltv6rs 
DB Corey Author FB site bit.ly/DBCorey-Author
DB Corey on LinkIn - tinyurl.com/oftk7do
Meet Myster Write on Facebook – www.facebook.com/MeetMysterWrite

No comments:

Post a Comment